miércoles, agosto 17, 2005

The Search/Add. 2

I read in New York Magazine the other night that the NYPD has declared that they will arrest anyone who is found with anything illegal, whether or not it is an explosive, during their bag-searching, which was first touted as an anti-terrorism measure. A-HA! I never carry any bad things in my bags, of course I'm not that stupid, but alright then, NOW I will use my right to refuse the searches, should I ever be confronted with the prospect (knock on wood, none yet), and proceed to take the bus/walk to work. It'll take me longer, but fuck it. I knew this search shit was just a ploy (even though I was going to go along with it like a trooper) and I always make it a point to work on principle. For example, I will never vote republican on principle because they're all pigs and they forever shall be. However, it seems mysterious to me that a) the "search desk" has disappeared from my subway station after only two weeks, and b) a "search desk" is completely absent from the Grand Central subway station, a spot which has been threatened before. Logically, the city would make that the first place to put a "search desk". But ah, well, these are some way illogical and half-assed times, my friends.

The NY Magazine article went on to say that several drug dealers who provide delivery services are now charging more for their wares, because in order to avoid the searches, they are taking cabs, which are of course a lot more expensive than the subway, although the subway is no 99 cent store either. Still another coke dealer on the lower east side has made "courtesy" calls to her customers to tell them that delivery services are discontinued and they have to go to her place to get it themselves, which leaves Ms. Dealer wide open for stakeouts across the street once the NYPD find that a few too many people are coming in and out of her digs, but if she thinks stopping deliveries will help....

Damn, the times they are a-changin. Nothing is convenient anymore.

1 comentario:

Amadeo dijo...

I saw it coming...her we have all these cameras up and arrests have increased but it's for dumb things like littering and loitering. Homeland security my ass.